Sunday, February 22, 2015

Happenings in the past week

Hey y'all, I've decided to make this a weekly feature after all to show off all of the reviews I've done and address anything weird.

Like this week's book review, I was all set do it when I realized I forgot the name of one of the side characters, could not find it in any reviews, tried to get Amazon to send me a sample of the book so I could try and find it there, and then discovered this weird kindle bug that I need to trouble shoot with them. Worst comes to worst I will get that review up tomorrow and just have to omit the character's name, apologizes for the strangeness but this was going to be a major section of the review an obviously I didn't foresee this problem at all!

For anime, last week I checked in with the new, winter 2015 anime (and Shirobako) and talked about what still has my attention and what doesn't. I am enjoying more shows this season than I expected but by and large it's the continuing fall shows that I'm really looking forward to week to week. And since I'm still catching up from falling terribly behind during my Katsucrunch, no anime review this week which means there won't be any anime reviews until April since I kick off March of Manga/Webcomics/Middle Grade novels next week (obviously I'll provide more details then since I seem to do this differently every year). Currently I'm up-to-date (with the crunchyroll/Funimation one week delays) with Yurikuma Arashi, Yona of the Dawn, Gundam Build Fighters Try, Shirobako, Death Parade, and Log Horizon 2 which means that there are another six or shows I'm behind on, oy veh.

For my bi-weekly movie review, I took advantage of a JICC showing in DC and saw the live action adaptation of Thermae Romae and oh my god, that was hysterical. The over-the-top nature of Japanese live-action was a perfect match for the movie's very silly premise and I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a B-movie so much. And it reminded me that I should really put the anime into my Notable noitaminA panel, it would certainly fit well into the "so strange they defy categorization" section very nicely.

Finally, my weekly manga review over at Organization of Anti-Social Geniuses was of the Mamoru Oshii and Satoshi Kon collaborative work, Seraphim 266612226 Wings (I didn't mention it in the review but there is a meaning to the title! It's a reference to the number of angles that supposedly followed Lucifer when he fell, what precisely that means in the context of the story I only have the vaguest idea, partially informed by the fact that Oshii is a former Christian  who apparently had a less-than-happy break with the Church).

And that's it for last week, expect a manga review this week instead of a webcomic review (sine if I wait any longer to talk about Magi I risk forgetting what I wanted to say) but hopefully that will be the only strangeness!